The von Treichel family cemetery in Lubno
At the beginning of the 1930s, the estate in Lubno was owned by Hans Carl and Celine von Treichel, who employed as the manager a man who would become one of the darkest figures in Polish history - Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski, the infamous “butcher of Warsaw” and commander of the German troops quelling the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. When the estate in Lubno was sold, the proceeds went to von dem Bach-Zelewski. The unclear circumstances of handing over the estate to him after the owners had died might suggest that von dem Bach-Zelewski was assisted by the government. In return, he would popularise the Nazi ideology in the Lansberg region, for instance by funding the Hitlerjugend outposts.
Lubusz Oder Defile
About the region
The area of the seven neighbouring communes located along the Oder and the...